[RFC] Proof-of-concept for netlink listener for mdev -i

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Mon Mar 16 17:13:17 UTC 2015

On 16.03.2015 08:16, Natanael Copa wrote:
> This give me exactly what I am interested in: a hotplug handler that is
> fast while keep memory consumption at a minimal during long periods
> with no events.

This is the essential of your message, I would give *you* the expected
result, but not to everybody else.

What about the ability of logging and debugging purposes? And I don't
talk about debugging netlink / mdev / xdev code, I mean debugging kernel
device event messages. Your approach would need a separate new piece of
code (socket / netlink aware), to handle those, whereas a slightly
different approach gives more modularity and compatibility with other
Unix tools, e.g.

netlink reader | tee /dev/ttyX | device operation handler

(Yes this is a normal pipe, used in shell scripts, to display all
incoming event messages on a specific console).