RFD: Rework/extending functionality of mdev

Natanael Copa ncopa at alpinelinux.org
Mon Mar 16 08:19:50 UTC 2015

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 01:45:05 +0100
Harald Becker <ralda at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 14.03.2015 03:40, Laurent Bercot wrote:

> >   Please take a look at my s6-uevent-listener/s6-uevent-spawner, or at
> > Natanael's nldev/nldev-handler. The long-lived uevent handler idea is
> > a *solved problem*.
>
> I know how that works, and this is the problem. I see limitations of
> this approach, which I try to overcome.
>
> 1) using as netlink mechanism only -> no problem
>
> 2) using with kernel hotplug helper mechanism -> fails to use, or still
> suffers from re-parsing conf for each event.
>
> 3) Open up my mind and accept that next one coming around, may have a
> brand new plug mechanism in his bag -> may be difficult to do without
> changing code.

I am only aware of reading kernel events from netlink or kernel hotplug
helper.

What is this new, third plug mechanism? I think that is the piece I am
missing to understand why fifo manager approach would be superior.

(feel free to point me to a link in the mailing list archive in case
you already wrote about it and it drowned in the amount of words)

-nc