[RFC] Proof-of-concept for netlink listener for mdev -i

Natanael Copa ncopa at alpinelinux.org
Mon Mar 16 07:16:02 UTC 2015

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 17:16:37 +0100
Laurent Bercot <ska-dietlibc at skarnet.org> wrote:

> On 15/03/2015 15:52, Natanael Copa wrote:
> > I have simplified the long-time living netlink listener more by
> > forwarding the netlink socket and letting the handler read
> > directly from netlink. This factorize out the pipe and remove the need
> > of any micro protocol.
>
>   As I wrote in another message, there is basically no benefit in doing
> that, because it forces the handler to be netlink-aware.

Well, the benefit is that the forever running daemon becomes very very
tiny, while the netlink aware handler does the netlink header parsing.

This give me exactly what I am interested in: a hotplug handler that is
fast while keep memory consumption at a minimal during long periods
with no events.

If busybox mdev developers wants to implement mdev -i to read from a
stream (eg pipe/fifo) instead of datagram, then the short-lived handler
can read from netlink and write to the pipe in what ever format the
mdev parser expects.

-nc