RFD: Rework/extending functionality of mdev

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia guille.rodriguez at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 21:20:45 UTC 2015

El viernes, 13 de marzo de 2015, James Bowlin <bitjam at gmail.com> escribió:

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 08:33 PM, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia said:
> > You are talking about a possible bug in the current
> > implementation.  In my opinion this is completely independent
> > from whether a redesign/architecture change is required or
> > wanted.
>
> ISTM you are assuming the redesign will not fix the bug.

No, I am not asumming that.

I am saying: if there is a bug then let's fix it. The discussion on whether
mdev needs a redesign is independent of that. In other words I am saying
that "there is a bug" is not in itself a reason to do a redesign.

 If the
> different versions are runtime options then it will be easy to
> see if the new versions fix the bug or not.  Let's make it easy
> for me to see if your assumption is correct or not.

There was no such assumption.

[...]

> the only sane
> approach is to let the choice be at runtime so there is a
> fallback in case there is a bug that only shows up on specific
> hardware.  This approach seems so obvious to me that I can't
> imagine it is controversial.

No controversy on my side. In fact I am not advocating compile time options
over runtime options, nor the opposite. I was just trying to understand why
Michael's proposal was not good enough for Harald.

Guillermo

--
Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
guille.rodriguez at gmail.com