[OT] long-lived spawners

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Fri Mar 13 20:16:25 UTC 2015

Hi James !

On 13.03.2015 20:33, James Bowlin wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 02:07 PM, Harald Becker said:
>>
>> xdev -f
>>     - starts up the fifo manager, if none running
>>       (manual use is special purpose only)
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> xdev -n
>>     - select the netlink mechanism and start daemon
>>       (auto include -f and -k)
>>
>> [etc]
>
> Yes, please give me run-time options so I can field test on many
> machines and fall back if there is a problem.

This is the intention of my approach to let the BB builder chose which
methods are included in the binary (size optimization), and the user /
system maintainer decide which of the included methods to use, but all
methods shall share the same back end (conf parser and device operations).

That would even allow to do the device gathering for yourself (e.g. with
some shell script) and use the config based backend by sending event
messages to the named pipe (which as simple as: echo "message"
 >/dev/.xdev-pipe). That way can even simulate setting up the device
file system when specific events arrive in a specific order (could be
done by creating a file with your events and then cat FILENAME
 >/dev/.xdev-pipe).

Just as a hint, as you told you are interested in testing.

... but you gave me an interesting argument, I have not thought about
yet, when using command line options to chose the method, you can easily
use a specific boot parameter to switch the device gathering method. As
a fail safe operation in e.g. a rescue system, this may be of interest.

--
Harald