[RFC] Proof-of-concept for netlink listener for mdev -i

Natanael Copa ncopa at alpinelinux.org
Fri Mar 13 07:23:49 UTC 2015

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 22:38:10 +0100
Harald Becker <ralda at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Natanael,
>
> I prefer finishing planning and creating a functional complete
> structure, before hacking code, so I do not see any benefits, to dig
> into your code at the moment, don't see any question that could be
> answered this way, at least at the moment.

I find it hard to discuss any solutions with someone who don't agree
what the problem is.

> So my question to this:
>
> What is the sense of this?
> What do you want to express with this?

Show with an example the idea a possible way to solve the hotplug
forkbomb problem with a minimal long lived netlink listener + short
lived event handler.

Instead of just using words to tell how to make a, express it with
example code.

> What was your intention to do that code hacking?

To show that a long-lived netlink daemon can be very small and simple -
probably much smaller than a fifo manager would be.

If someone have a better idea how to solve it, I would love to hear it.
(No, I don't fifos will make it smaller/simpler)

> I don't expect, you want to show, you are able to do this programing?

I'd prefer someone else did it. I did the netlink listener part, and
was hoping someone else would implement the mdev -i part, someone that
is better on programming than I am.

-nc