RFD: Rework/extending functionality of mdev

Michael Conrad mconrad at intellitree.com
Wed Mar 11 21:44:38 UTC 2015

On 3/11/2015 9:30 AM, Harald Becker wrote:
> So how can we avoid that unwanted parallelism, but still enable all of
> the above usage scenarios *and* still have a maximum of code sharing
> *and* a minimum of memory usage *without* delaying the average event
> handling too much?
>
> The gathering parts need to acquire the device information, sanitize
> this information, and serialize the event operations to the right
> order. The device node handling part shall receive the information
> from the gathering part(s) (whichever is used) and call the required
> operations, but shall avoid reparsing the conf on every event (speed
> up) *and* drop as much memory usage as possible, when the event system
> is idle.
>
> My idea is a fifo approach. This allows splitting the device
> management functionalities. Nevertheless which approach to gather the
> device information is used, the parser and device handling part can be
> shared (even on a mixed usage scenario).

Supposing that we have
   * mdev acting as a parallel hotplug handler forked by the kernel
and then add
   * mdevd which reads netlink messages and runs as a daemon

What specifically is the appeal of a third approach which tries to
re-create the kernel netlink design in user-land using a fifo written
from forked hotplug helpers?

I'm interested in this thread, but there is too much to read.  Can you
explain your reason in one concise paragraph?

-Mike