ntpd daemon

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 5 13:03:57 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 11:43 AM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
> The problem is not when no peer is defined. The problem is when the
> peer is defined, but we cannot talk to it. Therefore, the issue that I
> raised is still [not] addressed with regards to this.

This is not an easy thing to decide.

If -p PEER doesn't resolve, what to do? Exit? Drop this peer?
Retry? For how long?

More to it. What if ntpd runs for months/years? What if PEER's
IP changes? (We can't assume IP address of the server NEVER change)
Do we need to re-resolve the name once in a while?

Implementing any of this would require adding more code
and more knobs (such as "how many retries to do"?).

I decided that for now we are okay with a simplest solution.
Complications can be added when a user will demonstrate
a real-world case where he _had to_ fix a problem.