ntpd daemon

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Mon Mar 2 09:39:15 UTC 2015

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 5:25 PM, Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> when I run the daemon with the following option, does it still accept
>> the PEER parameter properly to function as a client as well as server?
>>
>> -l      Run as server on port 123
>
> Yes, it does.

Yes, you are right. Sorry about not giving any update yesterday. I
checked this source code yesterday which made it clear for me:

http://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/networking/ntpd.c#n2180

and

http://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/networking/ntpd.c#n2355

The globals are pretty ugly, though, but choices ... choices ...

Either way, since I have spent a couple of hours before realizing it,
I think it would be beneficial to briefly extend documentation. It may
sound trivial for people familiar enough with "ntp", but for me it was
not. Usually, in networking, servers and clients are different things,
not rarely significantly. You can call me silly or any other way that
you like, but it would have helped me to have a few more words about
the usage of this option.