Setting timezone offset properly with busybox

Juha Lumme juha.lumme at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 02:14:06 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have created root fs with buildroot 2014.1, and it runs busybox version
1.22.1.

I can't seem to understand how the timezone is meant to be set.
NTP has set the system time appropriately to UTC:
# date
Fri Jul 24 02:03:16 UTC 2015

In my case I would like to set Japan standard time, so I set the TZ
variable (or write to /etc/TZ file) to "JST9" (My current interpretation of
 http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/xbd_chap08.html )
and check time time
# export TZ=JST9
# date
Thu Jul 23 17:03:24 JST 2015

Now the time zone seems to have been set appropriately, but the time is 6
hours in the future. The appropriate time should be the original "02:03:16"
+ 9 hours -> "11:03:16". Where do I get this additional offset ?

Br,
Juha