How is syslog output printed on TTY?

john smith wempwer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 11:53:09 UTC 2015

When I log in as root in TTY in NOOBS the following text is printed:

login[510]: root login on 'tty2'

NOOBS stands for New Out Of Box Software. It's 'An easy Operating
System install manager for the Raspberry Pi'. Anyway, I know that it
can be achieved by modifying syslog.conf but there is no syslog.conf
and syslogd is not running in NOOBS. I read Busybox source code and
the only place when this text is printed is loginutils/login.c but
they use syslog():

if (pw->pw_uid == 0)
    syslog(LOG_INFO, "root login%s", fromhost);

I wonder then where does this text come from? It may be specific to
NOOBS but I am not sure.
--
<wempwer at gmail.com>