boot failures due to busybox-1.23 modprobe -a

Natanael Copa ncopa at alpinelinux.org
Thu Jan 15 21:18:05 UTC 2015

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 03:06:06 +0100
Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 1:50 AM, Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm sorry, but this is hardly a proper bug report. Can you do better?
> >>
> >> I just tried building defconfig bbox 1.23.0 + patch, and modprobing
> >> a module. It worked.
> >> It's not like "modprobe is so broken it's trivially to reproduce it".
> >
> > defconfig is modprobe-small, not full modprobe/insmod/...; Alpine Linux
> > uses full (ie, turn off "simplified modutils").
>
> Ok, I reproduced it, and updated the patch. Simple "modprobe MODNAME"
> works for me now, "modprobe devname:snd/timer" (alias with a slash)
> works too.
>
> Let me know whether you still see a problem

Denys,

It seems like modprobe no longer parse the options
in /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf

I noticed this because my UEFI laptop went all black (due to options
i915 modeset=1 not being parsed)

I did some blind troubleshooting with only HDD led as feedback and with
rmmod i915; modprobe i915 modeset=1 the console came back.

dmesg shows that evbug is loaded even if its blacklisted
in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

-nc