Letting mdev + devtmpfs play together?

Laurent Bercot ska-dietlibc at skarnet.org
Sat Apr 18 15:51:18 UTC 2015

On 18/04/2015 17:05, Floris Bos wrote:
> I tried enabling waiting for sequence numbers by echoing a newline to
> /dev/mdev.seq, however I noticed there are situations where that does
> not work properly either.

  Yes, it's the classic sequentiality problem. The userspace cannot
guarantee that mdev #526 will take the lock before #527.
  If you want guaranteed sequentiality, you need to run a netlink
reader. There have been several discussions on this list in the
last month about how to do that.
  Currently, you can grab Alpine Linux's "nldev", or
s6-linux-utils' "s6-devd", and run "nldev mdev" or "s6-devd mdev"
as a daemon, which will do what you want. More discussion is on
the way about adding that functionality to busybox.

--
  Laurent