Question on busybox and loading firmware?

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Mon Sep 22 12:56:28 UTC 2014

On 22 Sep 2014 at 13:46, tito wrote:

From:           	tito <farmatito at tiscali.it>
To:             	busybox at busybox.net
Subject:        	Re: Question on busybox and loading firmware?
Date sent:      	Mon, 22 Sep 2014 13:46:53 +0200

> On Monday 22 September 2014 07:58:27 Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > Was trying to get wireless firmware for IPW2200BG to load, but getting errors
> > on boot that it doesn't find firmware? Seems this is coming up during the
> > located in the /lib/firmware directory. I thought mdev -s might do something,
> > but didn't appear to. I did find some messages that talked about a patch to
> > busybox regarding firmware, but they were from 2005.
> >
> > Never dealt with firmware except when a user had some bnx2x devices that
> > needed newer drivers than the kernels included, so I added the whole list
> > from the linux-firmware git, and that resolved that users request. Now had a
> > user ask about adding wireless support, but the ipw2200 firmware isn't in the
> > linux-git since intel seems to restrict it, but as enduser, I can test it.  Have
> > asked them, but they pointed me to a web page that points to a page that
> > doesn't exist?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >

> > +----------------------------------------------------------+
> >   Michael D. Setzer II -  Computer Science Instructor
> >   Guam Community College  Computer Center
> >   mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
> >   mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
> >   http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
> >   Guam - Where America's Day Begins
> >   G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
> >   http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/
> > +----------------------------------------------------------+
> >
> > http://setiathome.berkeley.edu (Original)
> > Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
> > Processing time:  32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
> > (Total Hours: 287,489)
> >
> > BOINC at HOME CREDITS
> > ROSETTA     19916728.765824   |   SETI        33798185.993905
> > ABC         16613838.513356   |   EINSTEIN    33623582.458899

> Hi,
>
> it is in debian packages:
>
> firmware-ipw2x00 - Binary firmware for Intel Pro Wireless 2100, 2200 and 2915

Was already able to find the firmware since it was included with the installation
of the fedora 20 on the notebook. Issue is that I placed the firmware files into the
 /lib/firmware directory, but on booting from my project kernel it seems to try and
load firmware during the kernel loading before the ramdisk.lzma is loaded. The
kernel is built with the option to not include firmware, since I don't know what if
any firmware will be needed by end users.  This seems to have worked with
bnx2  and bnx2x firmware that another end user needed.

But the booting showed the messages before the ramdisk.lzma is
recognized, and then shows messages with =-12, and =-2. Didn't save the
output since this was a ram only load. Was thinking that mdev -s might cause
it to load firmware. Kernel contains most disk and ethernet devices included.