Reg: Busybox mount fails to mount ntfs file system

Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com
Sat Sep 13 08:42:13 UTC 2014

Please don't top post and quote properly or don't quote at all.

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014, Indira Valmiki wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 10:36 PM, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn <cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com<mailto:cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com>> wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Sep 2014, Indira Valmiki wrote:
> > >
> > > I am using debian wheezy.
> > > Kernel version - 3.4.74.
> > > busybox version - 1.21.1
> > >
> > > I am trying to mount a NTFS filesystem USB by using following command.
> > >
> > > mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 <mount location>
> > >
> > > But i'm getting below error,
> > >
> > > mount: mounting /dev/sda1 on /var/local/devices/ntfs failed: No such device
> >
> > Are you intentionally running busybox mount?
> > Please show output from:
> >
> >         # mount --help
> >
> > I suspect it's util-linux mount, and that's a different beast ;)
>
> It is busybox mount
> which mount -> /bin/mount
> and ls -l /bin/mount gives me /bin/mount -> busybox

So odd.  To my knowledge, fully updated standard debian wheezy comes
with:

	Kernel version - 3.2.60-1+deb7u1
	busybox version - 1.20.2
	util-linux version - 2.20.1-5.3

So your system is obviously heavily modified.  Is that intentional?
Standard debian uses busybox mount at the system installation stage
only, AFAIK.

You must have built busybox 1.21.1, from source.  What does:

	$ grep MOUNT .config

show?

Then you have the ntfs-3g package version 1:2012.1.15AR.5-2.1.  Did
you install the binary package or did you build ntfs-3g yourself? When
installing the package you're asked:

	Configuring ntfs-3g
	-------------------

	NTFS-3G can be installed with the set-user-id bit set, so that
	it will run with superuser privileges. This allows
	unprivileged users to mount NTFS volumes.

	Enabling this feature may be a security risk, so it is
	disabled by default. If in doubt, you should leave it
	disabled.

	Should NTFS-3G be installed "setuid root"?

What did you answer to that question?

Are you user 'root' whan you're executing mount?

The package comes with:

	/sbin/mount.ntfs-3g -> /bin/ntfs-3g

Is procfs mounted on your system?

Cheers,