What's the easiest way to make Busybox keep correct time?

Cathey, Jim jcathey at ciena.com
Tue Sep 2 17:01:54 UTC 2014

I don't know how all this is put together on your
particular system, but I had experience once where
an ill-advised attempt to keep the HW clock in sync
resulted in destruction of the system's EEPROM in
which the time offset and first-order drift correction
factors were kept.  The adjustment was designed, by
the system's authors, to be applied MANUALLY, after
a sufficient amount of time had passed to develop a
good baseline for drift.  By jinking it automatically,
rather often, the 10,000-write-cycle EEPROM was destroyed
in a matter of weeks, as I recall.

Soldering on replacement parts was required to resurrect
the affected systems.

The moral is, don't go messing with stuff if you don't
understand how it works.

I am still running one of these systems in my basement,
it's been running for close to twenty years and without
connection to the internet, and its clock is as spot-on
as one could expect.  (Its cron is running sprinklers and
outdoor lighting, so it's easy to verify the clock by
observation.)  I've adjusted the clock only a handful of
times, it learns and refines the drift every time I
correct it.  Which is not often!

-- Jim