[Patch v1] [f2fs] add support mkfs.f2fs fsck.f2fs

walter harms wharms at bfs.de
Tue Nov 4 08:23:21 UTC 2014

Am 04.11.2014 02:14, schrieb Chris Ruehl:
> On Tuesday, November 04, 2014 01:58 AM, Steven Honeyman wrote:
>> On 3 November 2014 05:25, Chris Ruehl <chris.ruehl at gtsys.com.hk> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was in need to have f2fs support in busybox.
>>> This patchset based on f2fs-tools commit
>>> 056e4b04fc44a006d5529bafbf87b1d73296c665
>>>
>>> [Patch v1.1][f2fs] add build support
>>> [Patch v1.2][f2fs] add libs header
>>> [Patch v1.3][f2fs] add libs c-files
>>>

>>> Please feel free to use it.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> I can't give an answer for the "official" maintainers, but in case you
>> noticed my unofficial testing branch and wondered why I haven't added
>> your contribution:
>>
>> Rather than patching makefiles, there's a script that runs and adds
>> new applets so that everything can be in one file together. There's
>> some good documentation in docs/new-applet-HOWTO.txt which explains
>> this.
>> Another reason is it looks like (apologies if I'm wrong) it's some
>> already written programs that don't fit with the busybox design, for
>> example free() is called many times with no surrounding ifdefs; and a
>> lot of functionality may be repeated from libbb, or even just the
>> malloc -> xmalloc type of changes.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Steven
>>

> Steven,
>
> Thank you get back to me. I pretty much appreciated your advice. I will get
> to the HOWTO.
>
> In general the 2 functions mkfs and fsck working, so fix the design
> issues should be a matter of a day or two.
>
> Yes, Im using libbb, changed already some function calls from original
> code.
> e.g. generate_uuid();  I dig a bit further..
>
> I'd had a quick look what the meaning of the x<functions>, and it makes
> sense to me. About the ifdefs around free's I didn't get it!?

bb is about code size.
The xFUNC are wrapper around common function like malloc that bail out on error,
so no need the check the return value.

free() is a special case as that allocated mem is freed() on exit(). this does
not work in every situation so it is common to warp the free in
 if (ENABLE_FEATURE_CLEAN_UP) free(something);

re,
 wh