busybox Digest, Vol 106, Issue 34

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Wed May 28 02:33:32 UTC 2014

Hi !

>then I run nslookup again, resolve still slow sometimes。

As far as I know the Busybox nslookup just uses the libc resolver
to get the IP address of the name. So speed depends on what
C library (resolver) is involved. Other programs bypass the
system standard resolver and do there own DNS lookups. Those
programs may be faster than the system standard resolver. The
problem here is not Busybox, it is it's simplicity just using the
system standard resolver. So if you have a problem with Busybox
nslookup, look on what gethostbyname() of your libc does.

Use different libraries to link Busybox with and you will see
different speed of resolver. On glibc systems this may also
depend on system configuration (nsswitch, resolv.conf, host.conf
and local DNS caching).

--
Harald