busybox v1.19.4 tar short read, no -i option to ignore the zero blocks

Timothy Reinhardt Timothy.Reinhardt at altech-multimedia.com
Thu May 15 09:23:52 UTC 2014

Hi

I have encounter a bug on busybox v1.19.4 when utilising tar to extract certain *.tar files.
The error is potentially valid: tar: short read
but as the tar file is NOT corrupt and extracts 100% correctly in this case it is invalid.  There is a known issue with tar that occurs when a file does not have a pair of zero blocks at the end of it, as GNU tar expects and suspect this is my failing. However I cannot repackage the tars nor want o be so strict.
The same tar file on the Ubuntu (tar version:  tar (GNU tar) 1.26), I get the error
tar: A lone zero block at xxx
But the GNU tar I can ignore this error via the -i option to ignore the zero blocks. But I cannot do this fix on the busybox version.

Is there a patch or Fix to ignore zero blocks for the busy box tar?

Thanks

Timothy Reinhardt
Cape Town Design Centre
Altech Multimedia International (Pty) Ltd, Registration 1984/003805/07
8th Floor, 1 Thibault Square, Foreshore, Cape Town, 8001
+27 (0) 21 425 5700 (office)
+27 (0) 21 425 5688 (fax)
mailto:timothy.reinhardt at uec.co.za
www.uec.co.za<http://www.uec.co.za/>

Leading Technologies: Touching Lives

[SA Technology Top 100] [SA Technology Top 100]

E-Mail Disclaimer: www.altron.co.za/email.asp<http://www.altron.co.za/email.asp>
Should you have any questions regarding this e-mail legal notice please contact us on
1. Telephone number : +27315082800
2. Fax number : +2731539 3370
3. E-mail address: info at altech-multimedia.com