Ntpd config file support

Mike Dean mdean at emacinc.com
Thu Mar 20 17:47:47 UTC 2014

Michael, Denys,

I'm sorry; it seems you don't understand.  I wasn't referring to depending
on gcc to do the linking for you, but rather doing it yourselves.  I'm
aware that you guys are used to depending on compilers, linkers and the
kernel to do the hard work for you, but really, it's not that tough to do.
 There's no reason you would have to load init code just because the
busybox process was started.  You load that on demand, not by default.
 That way, you don't waste memory by loading init code that has nothing to
do with the task busybox was launched to perform.  I can foresee your
complaints about the bloat this would introduce in determine what to load
and when, but therein lies another challenge: how to minimize this.
 Arguing until you're blue in the face about bloat as a knee jerk reaction
to requests for small features won't solve the problem for you, though;
you'll have to put some thought into the root cause to fix this issue.  The
kernel developers did, and look at how much better it has worked out for
them than it has for you.

Mike Dean