Ntpd config file support

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Thu Mar 20 11:02:06 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Denys Vlasenko
<vda.linux at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 11:50 AM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Denys Vlasenko
>> <vda.linux at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> With ntpd configuration file feature, in many cases you are likely
>>> to still need a script such as this to regenerate the config file.
>>
>> I would not need any script to do that and I am likely not alone.
>
> How are you going to get DHCP-supplied ntp servers' addresses
> supplied to the ntpd?

Denys,

I am not sure what you mean. If you re-read the thread, the simple
_optional_ configuration interface was meant to be an alternative for
the peer and server option. It was not meant to be much more than
that. That is why some people thought it would fit busybox quite well.
When people start going beyond the boundaries, like signal handling
all that kind of crazy complexity for busybox, then you can argue that
it is better to left out, but we are not trying to discuss that.

>> For the win, you can look into the real ntpd executable and ask them why
>> they implemented a simple config interface.
>
> They also implemented encryption, IIRC. Think about it.
> Encrypted packets containing highly secret information
> such as ... current time?

Denys, this has not been discussed. We are discussing the
configuration interface.

PS.: If you wish to reply to me, please keep in the CC. I will be
unsubscribing from this list, soon.