Ntpd config file support

Ralf Friedl Ralf.Friedl at online.de
Tue Mar 18 21:17:36 UTC 2014

Hi Laszlo

First, please either write your message below the quotes, or omit the
quotes. Especially don't quote parts that are not relevant to your message.

Laszlo Papp wrote:
> At least three people expressed that it is about convenience, a useful
> one.
Well, all of them didn't provide a convincing argument. And most others
on this list wonder why you make such a big deal about something that
can be solved with a few lines in a shell script. If you want a
configuration file only for the time servers, this script will give you
compatibility to the ntp.org config file:
#!/bin/sh
NTPD_OPTIONS="..."
exec busybox ntpd $NTPD_OPTIONS $(sed -nre 's/^server *(.*)$/-p
\1/g'/etc/ntp.conf )

> Anyway, please comment on the init script that I posted earlier when
> you get around to it, as well as the corresponding config file..
I'm not Harald, but I will comment on it anyway.
Short version:
It's a very nice script. Use it. Be very happy with it.

Long version:
I guess it fits into your distibution, but it's useless for most others.
That was one of the points Harald made, you want things specific to your
distibution in Busybox, where they don't belong. You could place it
somewhere in the contrib directory, but it would probably be a waste of
space and bandwidth.
Most distributions come with a template for such a script, and it
shouldn't take more than a few minutes to adapt such a template.
You use start-stop-daemon. Why do you think everybody would even have
the program, or want to use it?
Your script has a reaload case, where you send SIGHUP. What should ntpd
do on SIGHUP? Reload the config file? You said that reloading the config
is not necessary when it was about code size, so why send SIGHUP?
Finally, the export in the configuration file is not necessary.

In one email in this thread someone suggested to make the configuration
hardcoded as the compile time configuration. I just hope that was meant
as a joke.

> > Usually scripts in/etc/init.d use /etc/default/* as config values
> > (some distros, even using them as main config files). The scripts that
> > Laszlo posted fit that pattern.
> Not quite; actually "/etc/default" is more like a Debian, et al,
> pattern. OpenWrt will use something. Yocto uses something else, etc.
> And for what it is worth, buildroot is also strange with
> "/etc/default/ntpd" without any busybox indication.
Which again shows that distributions are different, so which distibution
style should Busybox pick? It is up to the distribution to provide the
right information to the program.

> I would ask this question from myself if I were you: what do I gain or
> lose with such a feature added or rejected? ...
That is a good question if maximizing the number of users is the top
priority.

Also someone suggested that devices today have GHz CPUs and at least
512MB RAM. Well, maybe they are not the target audience of busybox.
There are also devices with 16MB RAM and 4MB flash.

> I do not follow. The busybox user is the distro and maintainer in this
> case, really. The end user is not necessarily even aware of busybox,
> I would really appreciate more respect here towards end users.
> The end users have raised their opinion how they
> would like to see your software behaving.
I hope you realize that you are contradicting yourself here, within a
few lines of a single email.