[Question] Questions about the BusyBox specification.

Thomas Geulig geulig at nentec.de
Mon Jun 30 07:06:45 UTC 2014

Hi Frank,

Am 30.06.2014 08:46, schrieb Frank Ihle:
> Now nearly everbody told me that BusyBox ain't an OS in a typical matter
> ;), I already knew that before. The point is why I still ask, because
> I'm not a BusyBox "guru" that I can say what programs and tools are
> available to know the full functionality. My intention is to hear, if
> there is maybe some kind of a workaround (e.g. a firewall applet) that
> fills these gaps that it takes to be called an OS.

Busybox will never be an OS. It is just a bunch of "userspace" tools.
The potential firewall applet would just configure/manage the filtering
rules. The actual filtering would happen in "kernelspace".

You need a kernel in conjunction with busybox to get a full OS. Most
people here use Linux for this.

> When it's about to start a new Embedded Design it always comes in handy
> to know a few points about some OS. So that in a quick view, you could
> say that (here) BusyBox is fully sufficient for our needs and saves us a
> lot of money because we nearly don't need any storage, as it would take
> just because you use a full OS - That's what I meant in the beginning,
> that maybe these information could be a little bit more extended (e.g.
> with some of my questions).

You may want to look at

http://www.uclinux.org/

or