Interworking of cron and sendmail applets

Kaarle Ritvanen kaarle.ritvanen at datakunkku.fi
Tue Feb 4 16:54:26 UTC 2014

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014, Denys Vlasenko wrote:

> I am looking at Fedora's "man sendmail" and it says that -fSENDER
> is optional. When it's absent, sender is derived from "From:" header.

Verbatim quote from the man page:

"Sets the name of the 'from' person (i.e., the envelope sender of the
mail).  This address may also be used in the From: header if that header
is missing during initial submission."

So it says that the argument of -f is used as the default value for the
>From header, not vice versa.

Looking at the code, sendmail seems to behave pretty much like the patch I
sent earlier, i.e. derive the envelope sender address from the current
user's login name and the host's FQDN.

BR,
Kaarle