killall behaviour

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Fri Aug 29 16:04:04 UTC 2014

Hi Alfonso !

 > I just wanted to know if it is a "will" or "just happens" in
> find_pid_by_name.

The manpage says, killall shall send the signal to all processes running
the command. In fact is, you run the same command twice, when you do
this symlinking. As different kernel versions provide different
information about the running processes, it may be hard to dettermine,
which job you want to kill.

Please don't misunderstand. I do not say, there is no problem with
Busybox. The problem is, you need to give full information, to let us
look what's possibly going wrong. Your question is incomplete to give a
concrete answer.

That is:
- your Busybox version
- your Kernel version
- underlying file system you stored the files
- exact list what information your kernel provides for the two processes
   (see under /pro/PID_NUMBER/comm & cmdline & status)
- what is shown for the processes in ps and top

--
Harald