inittab: Start shell only if console is not null

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia guille.rodriguez at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 15:21:32 UTC 2014

>> My argument is that before adding code, it makes sense to ponder
>>
>> whether we really have a real problem here.
>

> Do you really insist on this endless respawning NOT BEING A BUG???
>
> I don't understand your stand point.
>

>> If one respawn per second a big problem? I'm not sure.
>

> Problem means it may make diagnosing other problems a hell. It is the reason
> I neglect to use unpatched Busybox init for most of my applications and I
> know several people here in Germany thinking the same that this is really
> bad. I really wonder why this has not bean fixed earlier (anyhow not
> insisting on my patch). I even asked for this around 1995 to 1997 (as far as
> I remember), but it has been neglected due to the KISS principle and things
> shall be small for embedded devices ... but today we got more and more
> desktop related patches blowing up things more than that simple approach.
> And still you insist on this endless uncontrolled respawning? If you really
> like this endless respawning, why don't you use runit?
>
> I think it's the time to fix init to avoid endless uncontrolled respawning.

Perhaps this fix could be implemented with a CONFIG_ option. You may
either enable it by default and wait to see if there are complaints (I
don't really think this would break any actual usage), or you may
disable it by default so that only people who want the "fixed"
behaviour would get it.

But either way I think it would be convenient to fix this.

Guillermo