Fix the addgroup help output

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Mon Aug 18 08:50:18 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 9:45 AM, walter harms <wharms at bfs.de> wrote:

> Am 17.08.2014 11:22, schrieb Denys Vlasenko:
> > On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 3:11 PM, <lpapp at archlinux.us> wrote:
> >
> >>  Applets are defining the help display text on their own, and it is
> >> different for different applets.
> >>

> > I don't see any obvious way to make it easier without significant bloat.
> >
> > Pass a list of options, parameters and their explanations to a function
> > which builds help text? This will likely be bigger than the help text
> > (many pointers to small strings results in pointers taking
> > almost the same amount of space than strings!)
> >
> > Even if you manage to avoid _that_ bloat somehow,
> > you can't bzip2-compress tiny bits of text.
> > We currently bzip2-compress our help text as one big blob,
> > with BIG savings in size - more than 50%
> >
> > And then you discover that some applets really want a bit
> > of customization to the way how options are explained.
> >

> Would that something for busybox.net/TODO section ?
> "Verify that help text and option are in sync"

Would what for TODO? It should not never really be validated by a human in
the first place. An applet author should just fill in the metadata. All the
rest should be automatically handled IMHO. Otherwise, it is error-prone,
will likely only cause the chaos that the applets have now with regards to
this.