How do I (unconditionally) enable unicode support in busybox?

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Sun Aug 10 21:12:42 UTC 2014

Hi James !

> After some experimentation I finally got buildroot to create a
> working busybox based on uclibc.  I enabled wchar but disabled
> all locale stuff in the uclibc config.

How shall your final BB manage UTF if you disable locale stuff in the
lib. Looks like you are building your BB the wrong way.

I'm still suggesting to use one of Rob's prebuild systems as a starting
point for your projects.

> Also, I was able to get it to work reliably in the initrd even
> with no locale files by using a lang=xxxxx boot parameter.  As
> I've said, exporting LANG does not work even though it seems like
> it should.
Still looks you are doing something wrong.

> I've copied all the locale files I could find:
The locale files are for glibc not for uClibc. uClibc need different
settings.

> I will send you my BB chroot stuff and my test script (and my BB
> config) so you can try it for yourself.  I was trying to avoid
> this step by using uclibc especially since the uclibc version is
> useful to me so it was not wasted effort.  I am close to giving
> up on this problem for now because my tr hack works and I just
> don't know what else I can try to fix the problem.

You make any mistakes building BB or your lib. Use one of the prebuild
systems to start.

> THANKS!  Now that I've got buildroot working, I may just stick
> with that for now although I do want to explore this Rob Landley
> stuff when I have more free time.

Getting BuildRoot to work does not mean you got all options right. On my
first try to build BB with uClibc I had to do about 30 try and error
passes until I got the uClibc options all working the way I liked.
Successfully building a binary file does not mean this file works as
expected. You need to get all configuration options right, which may be
a difficult step.

--
Harald