How do I (unconditionally) enable unicode support in busybox?

James Bowlin bitjam at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 19:20:33 UTC 2014

Thanks for the tip Michael!

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 02:49 PM, Michael Conrad said:
> Want a cheap trick for getting it all to work?  Extract
> gentoo-uclibc in a directory, chroot into it (with a number of
> the Gentoo install steps like setting up resolv.conf and /dev
> and /proc) and then "USE=static emerge busybox".

When I tried building in a chroot into Gentoo with a 486 profile
(years ago) the busybox I ended up with had illegal instructions
when run on older processors. I think I was still using glibc but
this put me off using Gentoo (which is the system I prefer) for
this.  I switched to using Debian which I'm less familiar with
but at least it didn't have the illegal instruction problem.

I do a lot of building and testing inside chroots so I wrote an
any-chroot function in my .zshrc which deals with mounting /proc,
and so on.

Last night I was finally able to get buildroot to spit out a
working busybox using uclibc on both Debian and Gentoo.  I have
not checked it on older processors yet but I think buildroot gets
the instruction set right.

Are these the instructions for using Gentoo-uclibc?
http://jootamam.net/tg-chroot.htm

I might look into it but now that I've got buildroot working, I
might just stick with that because it gives me great control over
the architecture and how I build both uclibc and busybox.
Although I imagine the configs can be set via files in:

    /etc/portage/savedconfig

Peace, James