How do I (unconditionally) enable unicode support in busybox?

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Wed Aug 6 15:11:21 UTC 2014

Hi Rich!

 >>      echo -n "$x" | LANG=utf sed 's/./x/g' | wc -c
> >
> > Argh ... this kind of exporting makes trouble with ash (and many
> > other Unix shells, not all behave correct as expected). Always set
> > it at the beginning of your script:
>
> Are you sure? It's well-documented, required by the standard, and has
> always worked fine with ash for me.
It shall work, but BB ash has a bug, which triggers randomly and just
ignores those environment settings ahead of a command. I can't tell when
this happens exactly, but to avoid this using export always helped and
worked fine for me.

> I would consider it the preferred
> way of exporting when you don't want to affect subsequent commands or
> the state of the current shell, only the current command.
I know. Would be fine to find the reason for this "very long standing bug".

--
Harald