cp command issue

William Larson wlarsong at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 21:43:47 UTC 2014

Hello I am using a very old embedded system with linux 2.4 compiled with
gcc 2.95.3

I compiled busybox version 1.19 (2011 release) and I am noticing a strange
phenomenon when using the cp command

I have a yaffs partition with a file i created via touch

touch SY
../busybox1.19 cp SY /mnt (mnt is a vfat formatted usb flash drive)

when i do this the case isn't preserved. i get a file lowercase 'sy' on the
vfat drive

if i run the cp command with a leading lower-case letter such as aSY it
works or if the file name is longer than 5 characters ie SYDATss it works.

But if it is shorter than 4 characters and starts with a capital the case
isn't preserved

Any ideas?

--
-William Larson