Detecting Compilation Errors in Busybox Configurations

Christian Kästner kaestner at cs.cmu.edu
Thu May 9 20:57:22 UTC 2013

Hi,

we just stumbled upon a configuration-related linker problem with
open_transformer.c that we previously accidentally as discarded false
positives.

Functions check_errors_in_children, xmalloc_open_zipped_read_close,
check_signature16,  init_transformer_aux_data, and open_transformer are
sometimes called in contexts where file open_transformer.c is not compiled.

The problem occurs if

undef CONFIG_FEATURE_COMPRESS_USAGE
undef CONFIG_FEATURE_SEAMLESS_XZ
undef CONFIG_MODINFO
undef CONFIG_FEATURE_SEAMLESS_BZ2
undef CONFIG_FEATURE_SEAMLESS_Z
undef CONFIG_RPM
undef CONFIG_GUNZIP
undef CONFIG_FEATURE_SEAMLESS_GZ
undef CONFIG_FEATURE_SEAMLESS_LZMA
undef CONFIG_INSMOD

and any of the following is activated:

CONFIG_UNXZ
CONFIG_BUNZIP2
CONFIG_UNCOMPRESS
CONFIG_FEATURE_COMPRESS_BBCONFIG
CONFIG_RPM2CPIO
CONFIG_UNZIP
CONFIG_DEPMOD
CONFIG_RMMOD
CONFIG_LSMOD
CONFIG_MAN
CONFIG_MODPROBE
CONFIG_FEATURE_2_4_MODULES
CONFIG_MODPROBE_SMALL
CONFIG_SETFONT

To reproduce the problem for example "make allnoconfig" and activate
CONFIG_UNXZ.

If it helps I can give you formulas of graphs of the exact
configurations where these problems occur.

Best regards,
Christian