mdev tmpfs 10 megabyte max limit?

Walter Dnes waltdnes at waltdnes.org
Wed May 8 23:32:00 UTC 2013

  Hi all.  I run Gentoo linux, with mdev replacing udev.  I
occasionally run a script that does quite a bit of copying back and
forth, and it uses /dev/shm to speed things up.  Yesterday, it started
blowing up on me.  After painfull debugging, I discovered that /dev/shm
is now only 10 megabytes.  The default linux size is 50% of ram.  Since
I have 3 gigabytes, that should allow 1.5 gigabytes in /dev/shm.  I
haven't run this script for a while, so the change may have been a few
months ago.  Is there an option I can set somewhere to override this
limit?  I tried remounting and bindmounting it, without any effect.

Here is my /etc/mtab for diagnostics.  Note the line...
mdev /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755 0 0

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext2 rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue 0 0
devtmpfs /dev devtmpfs rw,relatime,size=1551084k,nr_inodes=219109,mode=755 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /run tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
shm /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
cgroup_root /sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755 0 0
openrc /sys/fs/cgroup/openrc cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,release_agent=/lib/rc/sh/cgroup-release-agent.sh,name=openrc 0 0
cpuset /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset 0 0
cpu /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu 0 0
cpuacct /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuacct cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
freezer /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer 0 0
mdev /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755 0 0
/dev/sda7 /home reiserfs rw,noatime,nodiratime,notail 0 1
/home/bindmounts/opt /opt none rw,bind 0 0
/home/bindmounts/var /var none rw,bind 0 0
/home/bindmounts/usr /usr none rw,bind 0 0
/home/bindmounts/tmp /tmp none rw,bind 0 0
binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes at waltdnes.org>