ash "syntax error: bad substitution" on possibly proper SH script.

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Sat May 4 19:05:29 UTC 2013

Hi Piotr !

>This very line does not fails alone, but the full script does.
>
>    ~ # ash make-syscalls.sh
>    #### DIRECTORY =
>    #### SYSDIRS =
>    sed: can't read /syscalls.list: No such file or directory
>    make-syscalls.sh: line 273: syntax error: bad substitution

So please take the failing full script on your side and remove as much
as possible, keeping the failure. Then post the minimal fragment of the
script that fails. I do not have the time to search trough a big shell
script to find a possible failure.

Are you sure the given shell script line is the failing line? Shell
scripts tend to give wrong line informations. May be something else
fails. What about the missing file? Does this have any influence on the
"bad substitution" failure?

--
Harald