ash "syntax error: bad substitution" on possibly proper SH script.

Piotr Karbowski piotr.karbowski at gmail.com
Sat May 4 18:24:07 UTC 2013

On 05/04/2013 02:50 AM, Harald Becker wrote:
> Hi Piotr !
> Can't currently build with different config w/o modifying all my build
> scripts.
>
> ... but looking at the shell script source you gave I can't see
> anything special. Are you able to create a small shell script that
> fails on your ash but works with your bash? Attach this failing script
> as separate file to your mail (not inline; else I have trouble with
> exporting and character conversions).

This very line does not fails alone, but the full script does does.

    ~ # ash make-syscalls.sh
    #### DIRECTORY =
    #### SYSDIRS =
    sed: can't read /syscalls.list: No such file or directory
    make-syscalls.sh: line 273: syntax error: bad substitution

Attached the full script from glibc-2.17.

Also. adding back busybox mailing list cc.

-- Piotr.