XZ embedded bug unpacking linux-3.8.tar.xz

Antonio Diaz Diaz ant_diaz at teleline.es
Fri Mar 1 20:09:42 UTC 2013

Denys Vlasenko wrote:
>>I think there is a misunderstanding here. I am not seeking "clients". I am
>>trying to be the change I wish to see in the world.
>
> (1) Why do you want the world to stop using .xz and start using .lzip?
> Apart from "xz has a fatal flaw - it is not designed/written by me".

This is the most gratuitous insult I have ever received. Even more so
given that the motivation of this thread was a real flaw in xz.

BTW, it was Gandhi the one who said "You must be the change you wish to
see in the world".

> (2) What are the chances of this happening?

Unless a better algorithm is discovered, 100%. You can not fool all of
the people all of the time.

> A possibly suboptimal choice of the prevalent LZMA compressor
> is way down on the list of dangers for the humankind.

Certainly, but it was also Gandhi who said, "Whatever you do will be
insignificant, but it is very important that you do it".

Regards,
Antonio.