Using less in environment without controlling tty

Cathey, Jim jcathey at ciena.com
Mon Jul 29 23:41:06 UTC 2013

> >> Why do we need nonblocking I/O in less?
> >
> >Because I don't want to wait 999 seconds in this case before keys
> >start working:
> >
> >{ echo line1; sleep 999; echo line2; } | busybox less

Traditional more/less never used nonblocking I/O.  It was modal,
either collecting input up to the limit, or determining what to do
at that point.  (Collect more, free-run, quit, etc.)  Typeahead was
sufficient for most q/r type work anyway.  I'm a firm believer in
the KISS principle.  (And I _really_ hate polling!)

-- Jim