issues after kernel upgrade in busybox env

Eial Czerwacki eial at scalemp.com
Sun Dec 29 06:36:18 UTC 2013

Greetings Christophe,

On 12/20/2013 12:07 PM, Eial Czerwacki wrote:
> Greetings Christophe,
>
> thanks for your help, see inline.
>
> On 12/19/2013 09:05 PM, Christophe Blaess wrote:
>> On 19/12/2013 16:54, Eial Czerwacki wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a busybox version 1.19.2 built using buildroot running on a small
>>> usb as rescue image.
>>>
>>> previously I Was running kernel 2.6.38.8 and all worked great, due to
>>> drivers missing I was asked to upgrade the rescue usb image's kernel to
>>> 3.12.5.
>>>
>>> following the upgrade, I've encountered two issues:
>>>      1. I lost the ability to type the console, e.g. when I trying to
>>> type something via the keyboard, I don't get anything, echoing to tty0
>>> prints the output to the screen but doing the same to ttyS0, how can
>>> I fix
>>>          this? where should I start looking? the kernel diff between
>>> the to kernel version doesn't seems to yield any usable info.
>> Is it a USB keyboard and does it need to load a driver as module?
> yes, all US modules are loaded, I'm pretty sure it is a usb keyboard.
> I'm working on the machines in remote so I'll have to verify
after verifying, the input are USB, I've enabled HID generic and raw
support but keyboard still doesn't works, more over, I've applied the
config on a server that we have with the same config (there are mild
changes due to image compression diff) and it works, this means that
something in the setup process might be wrong. I've checked major/minor
diffs abut didn't found any.

what else can be the issue?

>>>      2. all the script that were executed in 2.6.38.8 ok, needs to have
>>> /bin/sh before them or else I see this:
>>>          $ /etc/init.d/detect_flash
>>>          detect_flash: applet not found
>>>          any ideas how to fix it?
>> Does you script start with a "shebang line" (i.e. "#! /bin/sh")?
>>
> yes, as stated before, the same script that worked on the same busybox
> but with kernel 2.6.38.8 exhibits problems on kernel 3.12.5
this was "fixed" using a small patch to the busybox, not the best fix
but works, unfortunately I cannot allocate time to fix it properly.