Why '-c DEV' option for switch_root?

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Mon Dec 16 19:11:44 UTC 2013

Hi Laurent,

I agree on many of your topics about initramfs, but to pick one
question at this point ...

>as well have a small squashfs root filesystem on it with a
>script that performs all the initialization work you're
>currently performing in the initramfs.

>  Whether or not that's better or not than initramfs is
> debatable.

No debate, at this, everybody has to decide for himself which
solution fits "better" (in his eyes).

> - and I think that you'll find it simpler to maintain
>if you try it out -

And here the question: How is it simpler to maintain? squashfs is
a read only file system, so you can't change things directly.
Same as in initramfs: You need a copy of the root file system
tree to put in your changes, then you need to create your new
root file system (squashfs on one hand, cpio archiv on the other
hand). Then you need to install your new root file system to the
flash. How can you feel this being simpler to maintain?

--
Harald