Best way to use dhcpc / avahi without delaying other init scripts ?

Mark Jackson mpfj-list at newflow.co.uk
Tue Apr 30 18:24:19 UTC 2013

I'm trying (and failing !!) to work out how best to use dhcpc and avahi
together.

Ideally I'd like udhcpc to start up, try to get a lease and, if the
lease request fails, use avahi to get a local ip address.

I have this working, but the dhcp request can taken some time (or even
fail if no dhcp server is present), and I am seeing delays of several
seconds before my other init scripts run.  I have dual ethernet ports
leading to about a 10seconf delay if no dhcp server is present.

To prevent other init scripts from being delayed, udhcpc should
instantly go into background mode (see [1]).

But the '-d' option in [1] is not present so I guess this patch either
never made it, or has come and gone.

I have tried the '-b' option, but this only puts udhcpc to the
background *after* if fails.

Even using options "-T 1 -t 1", I still get delays.

Can anyone explain the best options to use ?

Or am I going about this the wrong way ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Mark J.

[1] http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2003-September/043366.html