coordinated compliance efforts addresses the issues of this thread

Bradley M. Kuhn bkuhn at ebb.org
Tue Oct 16 13:33:45 UTC 2012

Felipe Contreras wrote at 00:52 (EDT):
> I'm talking about rights. As a user, I don't have any rights, only
> privileges granted by the developer.

This is where I disagree, in principle.  While you're technically
correct that the "rights" of copyright law stay with the copyright
holder, the GPL is clearly designed to pass rights and privileges
along to each who receives distribution.

That's a philosophical disagreement.  I don't believe that copyright
holders have some special rights above users -- I believe they should
get equal rights to source code and the ability to modify it.

> My point still stands; my rights (developer rights), are not being
> eroded in the least.

This point has some truth to it, but only in a very narrow sense.
Specifically, copyright claims don't typically have a "statute of
limitations" nor do they require action to keep the copyright
(trademarks are the counterexample to this -- one must actively uphold a
trademark to keep it -- not true with copyright).

Felipe, I don't know if we're doing value to this list by continuing
this thread.  I think all the positions that everyone has have been made
clear.  This thread has been going off and on since February.  I think
it's time we ended it.  What do you think?
--
   -- bkuhn