R: Re: coordinated compliance efforts addresses the issues of this thread (was Re: Amusing article about busybox)

farmatito at tiscali.it farmatito at tiscali.it
Thu Oct 11 21:58:24 UTC 2012

Il 11/10/2012 12:11, Felipe Contreras ha scritto:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM, Tito <farmatito at tiscali.it>
wrote:
>> On Monday 24 September 2012 16:37:11 you wrote:
>>> True, the law doesn't make any distinction, which is part of the
problem.
>> You are contraddicting yourself.  The law doesn't make any
distinction
>> and this is a matter of fact, which seems to be "your" the
problem.
> No, it's not _my_ problem, it's everybody's problem. Unless you
don't
> care if nobody uses busybox.

I care that busybox is used by people willing to follow the GPL
license
> But what is clear is that you are not interested in the problem,
and
> thus not interested in solutions.

The only problem here is that there are commercial companies that
don't
follow the license busybox is under, something unbelievable in the
world of commercial software
(where BSA or other enforcement agencies can raid your business)
yet believable and almost desirable for you.

>>> That's _your_ opinion.
>> That's not an opinion but a matter of fact.
> I have never fought for my software rights, and I still have those
> rights. I have never fought for my freedom of speech rights, and
yet I
> still have them. As long as the law is not modified, the rights
will
> remain there.

You fool yourself by thinking you have this rights when in fact they
are eroded
every day more and more, go try to ask for the source code of
busybox
used in most routers, tablets, phones etc. and you will experience
that most companies don't even will respond to your emails because
they don't care and there is only one reason why they don't care:

there has been no license enforcement,

so they risk nothing.

> You can disagree of the reason why I still have those rights, but
> that's your opinion, the fact remains that I have the rights, and
> have never fought them. That's an undeniable fact, not an opinion.
>
>>> You are minimizing the issue. If you want a more homologous
analogy,
>>> it would be more like you pay your goods, but somebody with your
same
>>> surname doesn't, and because of him you are forced to stay until
he
>>> pays, because the law doesn't make a distinction between
different
>>> individuals of the same family. It's much easier to just buy
goods
>>> with other licenses than risk this ordeal.
>> This is science fiction for me.
> This is crazy, which is precisely the problem.
>
>> I'm very sad that you have to suffer but the above solution is
still the
>> only valid and effective solution to end your suffering. Your
company
>> as a whole has to do due dilingence and comply to the license
>> as they do with their hardware suppliers and with every other
>> entity they have a contract with, even with you as they pay your
salary.
>> Would like to stay in the "bad" non compliant team if they do not
comply
>> with your contract and do not pay your salary?
>> I think not.
>> The salary for my minimal contributions to busybox is the
compliance
>> to the license and I too in this sense want to be payed.
> It's more akin to asking the company to pay me 100K euro, and when
the
> company offers 50K euro, I reject them. The company would rather
pay 0
> euro than 100K. By putting things in black-and-white, everybody
> looses.

if 50 doesn't allow to make your living maybe you have to fight for
your rights,
somebody did this for you in the past but times are changing. In many
European
countries there is political requests about a minum salary exactly
for this reason:

you work all days of the month, you get your salary but still you are
unable
the pay your bills.

>> “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight
you, then you win.”
> Gandhi never fought. He won by minding his own business, which is
what
> the Linux project is doing; generally ignoring enforcement, and
rather
> concentrate on creating an awesome project.
>
> Cheers.

He fought with passive civil disobedience,
but the repression was very active.
We need to fight with civil law.

Ciao,
Tito

Lupus et agnus

Ad rivum eundem lupus et agnus venerant, siti compulsi.

Superior stabat lupus, longeque inferior agnus.

Tunc fauce improba latro incitatus iurgii causam intulit:

"Cur -  inquit - turbulentam fecisti mihi aquam bibenti?"

Laniger contra timens :

"Qui possum - quaeso - facere quod quereris, lupe? A te decurrit ad
meos haustus liquor."

Repulsus ille veritatis viribus:

"Ante hos sex menses male - ait  - dixisti mihi".

Respondit agnus:

"Equidem natus non eram!"

"Pater, hercle, tuus - ille inquit  - male dixit mihi!"

Atque ita correptum lacerat iniusta
nece.

Haec propter illos scripta est homines fabula qui fictis causis
innocentes opprimunt.

Phaedrus

Invita i tuoi amici e Tiscali ti premia! Il consiglio di un amico vale più di uno spot in TV. Per ogni nuovo abbonato 30 € di premio per te e per lui! Un amico al mese e parli e navighi sempre gratis: http://freelosophy.tiscali.it/