coordinated compliance efforts addresses the issues of this thread (was Re: Amusing article about busybox)

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 10:11:48 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM, Tito <farmatito at tiscali.it> wrote:
> On Monday 24 September 2012 16:37:11 you wrote:

>> True, the law doesn't make any distinction, which is part of the problem.
>
> You are contraddicting yourself.  The law doesn't make any distinction
> and this is a matter of fact, which seems to be "your" the problem.

No, it's not _my_ problem, it's everybody's problem. Unless you don't
care if nobody uses busybox.

But what is clear is that you are not interested in the problem, and
thus not interested in solutions.

>> > I want my rights enforced!!! for a simple reason because if you don't
>> > fight for your rights you end with no rights at all.
>>
>> That's _your_ opinion.
>
> That's not an opinion but a matter of fact.

I have never fought for my software rights, and I still have those
rights. I have never fought for my freedom of speech rights, and yet I
still have them. As long as the law is not modified, the rights will
remain there.

You can disagree of the reason why I still have those rights, but
that's your opinion, the fact remains that I have the rights, and I
have never fought them. That's an undeniable fact, not an opinion.

>> You are minimizing the issue. If you want a more homologous analogy,
>> it would be more like you pay your goods, but somebody with your same
>> surname doesn't, and because of him you are forced to stay until he
>> pays, because the law doesn't make a distinction between different
>> individuals of the same family. It's much easier to just buy goods
>> with other licenses than risk this ordeal.
>
> This is science fiction for me.

This is crazy, which is precisely the problem.

> I'm very sad that you have to suffer but the above solution is still the
> only valid and effective solution to end your suffering. Your company
> as a whole has to do due dilingence and comply to the license
> as they do with their hardware suppliers and with every other
> entity they have a contract with, even with you as they pay your salary.
> Would like to stay in the "bad" non compliant team if they do not comply
> with your contract and do not pay your salary?
> I think not.
> The salary for my minimal contributions to busybox is the compliance
> to the license and I too in this sense want to be payed.

It's more akin to asking the company to pay me 100K euro, and when the
company offers 50K euro, I reject them. The company would rather pay 0
euro than 100K. By putting things in black-and-white, everybody
looses.

> “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

Gandhi never fought. He won by minding his own business, which is what
the Linux project is doing; generally ignoring enforcement, and rather
concentrate on creating an awesome project.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras