Chroot in ftpd on newer kernel versions

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Wed Oct 3 20:15:29 UTC 2012

Hi Denys !

>> So I suggest to add an option to ftpd to change user/group after
>> doing chroot if run as root,
>
>Such a patch will be welcomed.

Trying to add this in, but I have some trouble to fully understand
that getopt used in Busybox. Will dig into this after receiving my new
machine.

>See? DIR is optional.

Yes it is optional, but shall depend on being root or not (and may be
give some short message to say "not running as root" when you try to do
the chroot.

The other variant would be to add chroot capability to tcpsvd. This way
we could remove the chroot from ftpd ... but then this is missing if
inetd is used. Either way we need some modification to be able to use
Busybox ftpd in a more save fashion.

--
Harald