diff subshell redirection fails

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Sat Nov 24 11:16:25 UTC 2012

Hi Jose !

>I agree with you in that this (bash) is the reason for redirection
>shell don't run with some busybox commands, I'm confused because some
>of them runs with normalitiy with file descriptors.

This depends on the function of the application. Applications only
reading straight forward through there input data do only need to use
general read. Those applications usually work with every kind of file.
Other applications who need to reread or seek within there input data
work only on regular files.

>Strangely this runs with precompiled older busybox.

As far as I know there have bean improvements for diff in newer
versions. May be they introduced some difference in behavior. The main
purpose of diff is to produce a list of differences for reproduceable
data (regular files). As this the diff application does not need to
work for every kind of file (like pipe or redirections).

>Thanks for all, and sorry for my (bad) english

You are welcome. I'm no native English speaker too, and my English is
far away from being well ... My motto is: We are all humans living on
the same planet, and together we are strong.

--
Harald