bb 1.17 causing subsequent driver problems

Tito farmatito at tiscali.it
Sat May 26 08:13:55 UTC 2012

On Friday 25 May 2012 21:13:01 Peter Scheie wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 13:58 -0500, Tito wrote:
> > On Friday 25 May 2012 20:19:30 Peter Scheie wrote:
> > > Correction: I've been using bb 1.15.2.  1.16 has mkfs_ext2 and works
> > > with no problem.  But at some point I'll want to move to an
> > > even-less-out-of-date version such as 1.17 or greater, so the question
> > > still stands.
> > >
> > > Peter

> > Hi,
> > is CONFIG_DEFAULT_MODULES_DIR set correctly:
> > 	Directory that contains kernel modules.
> > 	Defaults to "/lib/modules"
> >
> > maybe also posting your config file could help.
> >
> > Ciao,
> > Tito
>
> Thanks Tito.  CONFIG_DEFAULT_MODULES_DIR is set to the
> default, /lib/modules.  I used the same config file with both versions
> of bb.  I've posted it at http://pastebin.com/xNqvHnTm.
>
> Peter

Hi,
just out of curiosity, you keep your modules in

/lib/modules/xxxxx.ko

or

/lib/modules/`uname -r`/xxxxx.ko

I think the only way to solve your mistery is to run strace
on the same commands that are failing at boot time.

Turning on debug in modprobe.c could be another way to discover more,
just change:

//#define DBG(fmt, ...) bb_error_msg("%s: " fmt, __func__, ## __VA_ARGS__)
#define DBG(...) ((void)0)

#define DBG(fmt, ...) bb_error_msg("%s: " fmt, __func__, ## __VA_ARGS__)
//#define DBG(...) ((void)0)

and recompile.

Ciao,
Tito