bb 1.17 causing subsequent driver problems

Peter Scheie peter.scheie at abilitynetwork.com
Fri May 25 16:27:22 UTC 2012

I've been using bb 1.16.2 to build a custom initramfs, which we use to
replace the stock initrd in Centos 5 (we do some special things we need
in the initramfs).  Now I need mkfs_ext2, so I grabbed the bb 1.17.2
that I use in another project.  But I'm getting some odd behavior.  The
initramfs loads fine and does all the stuff it's supposed to, after
which it does a switch_root (so the initramfs & bb are out of the
picture) and mounts the file systems from the local disk, runs the
Centos rc scripts, all which seems to go fine.  But with 1.17, when udev
is started by Centos's rc.sysinit, I get an error that "DM multipath
kernel driver not loaded", and then later a modprobe warning, "Could not
open 'kernel/net/netfilter/x_tables.ko': no such file or directory"
followed by another modprobe error, "FATAL: Error inserting ip_tables
(kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter.ko: no such file or directory", even though
both those files are on the disk.  And of course, iptables then won't
run.

Any ideas as to what changed between 1.16 and 1.17 that would cause
this?  I also tried 1.17.4 and got the same results.  Thanks.

Peter