patches for building with Android NDK

Tias tias at ulyssis.org
Mon May 21 22:03:54 UTC 2012

Dear Busybox developers,

Since Rob Walker's patch[1], building busybox with the Android NDK has
really become dead simple; no special hacks or external libraries are
needed anymore.

However, a large number of applets can currently not be built.

I started documenting why applets don't build, as well as collecting
patches from different sources, that fix the issues:
https://github.com/tias/android-busybox-ndk
https://github.com/tias/android-busybox-ndk/tree/master/patches

I would love to see the ideas behind these patches integrated, so that a
standard busybox build can be used in the many android open-source
projects that depend on it (and currently use a statically built
third-party blob).

However, I am unfamiliar with the coding practices of the busybox
community, and many of these patches were written to fix the build and
not necessarily to get merged upstream.
I consider my work in collecting these patches as just a first step.
Hence, I would like to solicit feedback on what can and can not be
merged, and what would be required to get these fixes in.

Thanks in advance,
Tias

[1] http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2012-March/077486.html