problem with start-stop-daemon and --exec

Laurent Bercot ska-dietlibc at skarnet.org
Mon Mar 5 17:45:58 UTC 2012

> Now they seem to use /proc/pid/stat. Gosh... that's supposed to be used
> for --name match!

 At this point, Denys, since you haven't done it yet, I feel obligated
to remind people that start-stop-daemon is a horrible hack, that PID
tracking and /proc parsing is an unreliable and very inefficient way to
monitor daemons, and that people who really want reliability and
RightThingness with daemon management should look at supervision suites
such as s6 (http://www.skarnet.org/software/s6/)
or runit (http://smarden.org/runit/), and that busybox even includes
parts of runit.

 start-stop-daemon and such are okay for people who want to emulate
System V behaviour. But System V behaviour is inherently unreliable,
and emulating it isn't always the best way.
 Since busybox is mostly used in embedded environments and embedded
environments often have high reliability requirements, I feel it's
important to keep that in mind.

--
 Laurent