problem with start-stop-daemon and --exec

ralda at gmx.de ralda at gmx.de
Sun Mar 4 16:30:48 UTC 2012

Hallo Ed!

> > start-stop-daemon --stop --pidfile /var/run/nginx.pid
>
> Yes this works.  Up until recently that's exactly what gentoo used,
> but they have now started to switch their init scripts to be more
> specific with --exec
>
> I guess this also defends against services which die in the
> background and something else ends up accidently running on the same
> pid

My start-stop-daemon from Gentoo killed processes if they EITHER
matched the pid from file OR the given exec name. As this killed
sometimes the wrong process I switched to Busybox start-stop-daemon
witch killed only the process when both conditions met (pid AND name).
But that test was back in last year spring. May be things changed since
this.

IMHO is the Busybox choice better to kill only processes if all
specified conditions match. I dislike the other approach ... but it is
not my decision if Busybox or upstream behavior shall be changed.

--
Harald